Joining SCCA

To: "BayArea Team.Net" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Joining SCCA
From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 20:59:27 -0400
Several times in recent weeks I've fielded calls from people who want to
run the next SFR Solo II event and they're not yet members.
        I send them to SCCA National in Englewood, CO.
                Call 1-800-770-2055 and ask for the Membership Dept.
                Pay your $65 annual dues with VISA or MasterCard.
                Then request a return FAX acknowledging you've paid your
dues, especially if you're tight on time. Otherwise it takes at least one
week, sometimes two for a real membership card to arrive in the mail.
        The above system seems to be working reasonably well.

        Then today a fellow called who had been referred to the San
Francisco Region office in Willows, CA. he had FAXed them his plastic
credit card number this past Monday and then heard nothing. Today,
Thursday, April 26, he called me. Apparently our number is listed on the SF
Region Solo II page or something. I gave him the club office number in
Willows. All he had been given was the FAX number in Willows.   He then
called back to tell me they informed him they had NOTHING to do with Solo
II and they had not yet sent his membership request on to Englewood.
        I then gave him SCCA National's 800 number and sent him there.
        My point: Sending newbies to National seems to work best,
especially when time is tight.
        The SFR office in Willows is mostly concerned with road racing
operations, thus something that's different just doesn't get first class
attention.

        Need to call SCCA? Call 1-800-770-2055.

--John Kelly