Re: help! why am i 3 seconds slower this year than last?

To: James Creasy <black94pgt@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: help! why am i 3 seconds slower this year than last?
From: dcolicch@ix.netcom.com
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 11:01:50 -0400
  James, you can throw all of the best products on your car and still make it
slower.  You say that you just bought double adjustable Konis, how did you
change the valving, and have you tried adjusting them during an autocross.  Did
you valve them for track events and not auto-x?  Your valving may be too stiff,
mainly in low piston speed valving, for auto-x, and you have now lost traction
compared to last years soft $27 shocks.  Adjusting valving and just shock
settings is very difficult for most drivers, double adjustables just add a new
variable to that.  I also remeber you saying that these new control arm are
adjustable.  Are you running the same camber AND caster as last year.  The
power steering may not give you the feedback that you are used too with  you
old set-up, but I really doubt it slowed you down 2 seconds.  I would not just
discard all of the new parts you purchased, but see WHY you are 3-4 seconds
slower.  You need to figure out WHAT the car is doing.  Is it n!
!
ot turing in as well as before, is the overall traction lower, does it have a
mid-turn push, power on over-steer, ect.  I you can find out what is going on
it will be much easier to make changes and get your 3-4 seconds back.

-Tony Colicchio

James Creasy <black94pgt@pacbell.net> wrote:
> hi all,

i am trying to figure out why i am between 3 and 4 seconds slower against
the same people this year than last year.  i made some changes to the car,
primarily changing the control arms and adding power steering.  i did notice
i slowed down about 2 seconds after i added the power steering but thought i
might get used to it.  and i suspect changing the control arms hurt my
handling.  ive been slower since i put the koni double adjustables on too.

right now i am planning to return the car to the way it was a year ago: $27
shocks, 8 big rubber bushings, and manual steering.  any ideas for me?
thanks,

-james 'slower and slower' creasy