Re: Sound levels

To: 76067.1750@compuserve.com, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sound levels
From: "Kevin Stevens" <kevin_stevens@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 14:35:48 -0800
>We were supposed to have our new sound meter at 3 Com Park this past
>Sunday as a help in persuading our louder cars to quiet down. The
>Steering Committee authorized its purchase. I hope it shows up on
>March 11.

The new meter was there, as was the old meter, being handed off by Pete
Mottaz.  I am the new Sound Chief, as you know quite well, and was
"supposed" to investigate new equipment.  I took it on my own initiative to
make the purchase.

I was doing readings on Sunday because:

a)  I didn't know if the old meter would be available to do
    comparative measurements.  The new one does have a calibration
    adjustment, but no calibration procedure or equipment comes
    with it.

b)  The wind and rain did not make for good sound measurement
    conditions, and I was concerned about getting either/both of
    the meters soaked.  (I was already soaked after working the
    third run group, so that wasn't a problem.)

c)  Don McKenna wasn't able to be at that event, and I was hoping
    to discuss some of the measurement issues with him.

That's the story on sound last Sunday.

Here's the story on sound for next Sunday.  I'll show up, and hand the old
and new equipment to Charlie Davis if he's there, or put it in the
motorhome if not, and leave.  My personal suggestion to you, John, is to
take the new meter from the motorhome and shove it up your ass.

Charlie, and other SC members who are reading this, my apologies.  However,
I'm done with hiding the damage that John is causing our region behind the
scenes.  Personally, this is the third position his slander and implicit
criticism has caused me to relinquish.

I left the Steering Committee after listening to John rant for a year over
the PA system about my coercive manipulations to institute a two-second cone
penalty.  (A lie.)

I resigned the event chair coordinator position after John twice threatened
to cancel events because he didn't feel confident that I would supply event
chairs.

I'm resigning the sound chief position now, because I haven't even gotten
turnover on the position and John Kelly is ALREADY sniping about my
performance.

Yes, I'm thin-skinned on this issue; but I didn't start out that way.  And
I'm aware of quite a number of others who have left the SFR program, or
simply decline to take on responsibilities, because of the aggravation of
dealing with John.

John, fine, enjoy your position.  Enjoy taking the shots at everyone.  Enjoy
your conspiracy theories and passive-aggressive slander - after all, you own
the printing press.  But I wish you a very long life, John, because when
you're gone you're leaving this region in a shambles with the people you
drive away and the enemies you make.

I'm out.

KeS