RE: Slush round 2 report

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net, Kevin_Stevens@Bigfoot.com,
Subject: RE: Slush round 2 report
From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 10:00:26 -0400

Message text written by INTERNET:navid@interwoven.com

"I was thinking maybe we could include that as part of the course next
time.
It introduces a little bit of 3Com/GGF combined flavor.

--Navid
>"

Not a bad idea. Going Way, way back in my memory, I recall a California
State Gymkhana Championship staged on Fort Ord's North parade grounds,
wherever that is or was. Each club had to field a 12-car team. Part of the
deal was you had to back through a sand dune as part of running the timed
course which was made up the usual, four-leaf clovers, three-leaf clovers,
and additional backing up sections as well. Limited slips were not a part
of everyday living at that time.

        I did speak to the Marina Airport Asst. Manager and called the dirt
arrangement "silly," especially as there is pavement right there and we
used to cross it at an angle. His reply was they didn't want to jeopardize
their deal with the FAA and we will just have to put up with it and go
across the "active taxiway" at a 90 degree angle. He also said he and the
Airport Manager are working at closing the Taxiway which would ultimately
end the problem. He also pointed out the airport is for airplanes
specifically and we're fortunate to able to "play" there.
        The on-duty Marina Motorsports guy told me the taxiway in question
is never used on Saturday or Sunday.
        The Airport Asst. Manager also told me he was the fellow who saw an
AT-6 come face to face with the silver Porsche on the taxiway during a PCA
meet. As nobody I've talked to in PCA saw it happen, I can only conjecture
the Porsche in question was driving in an area where he shouldn't have
been. Or something else.
        For us, all of our people have to stay in the area we rent.
        It is my goal to stage at least three events there in 2001 and I
hope by getting acquainted with other folks beyond the Marina Motorsports
group, that we can iron out future problems. Marina Motorsports is the
group which put the deal together in the first place, we rent through them,
and it is not my intention to by-pass them. They provide a valuable service
for us. However, we do have to get them to organize themselves a little
better for future events.
        As our club's presence got several departments at GGF to talk to
one another, perhaps we can instill a similar team approach at the Marina
Aiport.

--John Kelly