Re: Instruction: How to work the timer

To: darren@madams.com, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Instruction: How to work the timer
From: adozzell@sc9.intel.com (TONY OZZELLO P802 AWS)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 09:11:31 -0700
Darren wrote lots of good stuff which I snipped most of:

>You will hear a single beep whenever somebody trips either the start or
>finish light.  That is OK.

Don't you get two quick beeps for a finish and 1 for a start or are they
just different pitch? I know you can tell them apart by sound.

>There are 4 displays, and 4 possible cars can be on course at any given time:

The timer can support up to 8 cars I believe, you can only see 2 complete
and 2 active times but the internals can track more than that. Watch the
little display to tell exactly how many timers are running.

>If somebody accidentally walks through the finish lights, you can "undo"
>this by pressing the "RESET FINISH" button.  This will allow you to get a
>clean time on the car about to finish without having to hold the
>start.  The false time that appeared in box 3 will return to the last car
>to finish until the next car finishes and then it will display in 3.  This
>will save giving reruns!!!!  Please reread this!!!!

>If somebody walks through the start lights, you can "undo" this by pressing
>the "RESET START".  This will allow you to start the next car as normal
>without having to trigger a finish.  The display should not be affected.

Use the text display on the LCD readout to ensure that you've done
this right by comparing the number of running timers to the number
of cars between the lights. If this matches, odds are the time in
box3 is the correct time for the car that just finished and the one
in box 4 is the correct time for the car before that.

>If somebody misses the finish lights, either by spinning around them and
>just driving off DNF or by a mechanical being pushed off course, you can
>trigger a finish by hitting the "FINISH" button.  A time will appear in box
>3.  If there is another car on course, that has not been red flagged, his
>time will appear as normal.

Same thing as above, after hitting one of the bottons, always compare
the number of active timers to the number of cars between the start
and finish lights to ensure you got it right.

>==================
>TIMER CHEAT SHEET:
>
>Constant beeping means 1 or more sensors not connected or misaligned.
            The text diplay will indicate which one is messed up
>Single beep means a sensor was triggered OK.
            Practice hearing the difference betwene start and finish
>"INIT" toggle clears all displays and starts fresh.
>Most recent finish on display 3.  Previous finish on 4.  Current cars on 2
>or 1.
>"RESET START" or "RESET FINISH" undoes somebody walking through lights.
>"START" or "FINISH" manually triggers the lights if somebody misses them.

Nice summary Darren, should we print and post this in the trailer?

Tony