Re: wanted: Miata Solo I legal roll bar

To: Greg Umbay <greg_umbay@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: wanted: Miata Solo I legal roll bar
From: Keith Hearn <khearn@Legato.COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 14:46:16 -0700
In message <20000828205543.7808.qmail@web2005.mail.yahoo.com>, Greg Umbay write
s:
> --0-1102520059-967496143=:3707
>

>  maybe I can help with some of my experiences in ordering my roll cage.  If y
> ou are looking for "Solo 1" legal, then you need a full roll cage.  For open
> track and schools you can get race roll bar from IO Port racing.  Here is wha
> t I found out in my research,

Solo I does not require a full cage. Road racing does, but Solo I only
  requires a bar. Or at least that was the case last year when I read
  the rules. I suspect I'd have heard if they made a change like that
  for 2000.

Hard Dog makes a Solo I bar, which they call the Hard Core. I bought
  mine last summer through Team Miata (www.teammiata.com). They
  recommended a fellow in Concord to do the install. He's a mechanic for
  a Mazda dealer and does the installs on weekends at his home.

He charged me either $200 or $250 (can't recall which), and did a
  fantastic job. I considered it to be well worth the money, since most
  people who do it themselves seem to take 2 full days, and this guy did
  the whole job in less than 4 hours. He's done a lot of them and it
  shows.

Hard Dog also makes a lighter bar called the Sport, which doesn't pass
  Solo I requirements, but many people have done track events with
  it with no problems. I've seen a couple of pictures of Miatas that
  have rolled with the Sport bar, and the bar held up just fine (and
  probably saved lives - see http://www.bethania-garage.com/newpage1.htm).
  The SCCA requirements are "one size fits all", and define a bar
  that is strong enough for a much heavier car than the Miata. So
  you can go with a bar that doesn't pass the Solo I standards and
  still have all the protection you will need.

The key things you want are that it should be above your head, and
  should have adequate back and side bracing. If you're using a 4 or 5
  point harness, the top of the bar should be 2 inches above the top of
  your helmet.

I've got a Hard Dog Hard Core with the double diagonal bracing (HDHCDD).
  It's Solo I legal, and is stronger than a Miata really needs, but
  I'll never have to worry about whether or not a track event will
  let me run. The Sport bar is certainly strong enough, as proven by
  people who have rolled onto them. I've never heard of someone being
  turned away froma track event with a Sport bar, but I suppose it
  *could* happen. I can't imagine being turned away with a Hard Core,
  unless they're requiring full cages.

Autopower also makes a bar for the Miata, but I've never seen one or
  heard from someone who has one, so I can't give much advice about
  their stuff. They do have a good reputation. I *think* their bar
  limits the travel of the passenger seat, but I'm not sure.

  Keith Hearn
  '99 Miata 10AE "Sexy Sadie" the Sapphire Shark
  B-Stock
  Milpitas, CA