Re: Topeka

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Topeka
From: David Rowney <daver@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 11:25:27 -0700
Yet another interesting way if you want great driving roads, scenery and
have some extra time:

Highway 50 across Nevada - interesting old towns and basin-range
country.  Great Basin National Park in eastern Nevada (hiking and Lyman
Caves tour is excellent).  Nice places to camp in the aspen trees.

Meet up with I70 in Utah (short jog up up I15 to Scipio, then to I70 at
Salina), and drive I70 over the San Rafael Swell, a spectacular uplifted
slickrock area carved by deep canyons.  Many hiking opportunities.

Past the Green River crossing (good camping) is Arches National Park and
Moab, coolest town in Utah (mountain biking heaven).  I 70 continues direct
across Colorado to Denver.

If you have time on the way or back, from I70 try Utah 24 south just past
Green River to Torrey, through Capital Reef National Park.  Butch Cassidy's
country.  Then (optional), turn south down Utah 12, one of the best driving
and scenic roads in the U. S. It goes over the Aquarius Plateau (10,000' -
aspens could be spectacular) with views of the Waterpocket Fold (Capital
Reef), and then over Hells Backbone through the Escalante-Grand Staircase
National Monument.    Near the Escalante River, try the Calf Creek hike or
just hike up the Escalante itself for a taste of the canyon country. Try
hiking into Death Hollow if you dare. Watch for Anasazi ruins in the cliff
walls.  Utah 12 leads eventually to Bryce Canyon NP.  From there you can
turn south (US 89) toward the N. rim Grand Canyon and Zion NP, or back up
toward I15 and US 50.

Have fun...
Dave