Re: Topeka

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Topeka
From: Dennis Hale <dhale_510@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 10:03:33 -0700 (PDT)
If you want to spend a couple of extra days driving
[wow, driving, is that what cars are for?] instead of
picking up cones for clumsy strangers, there are some
great alternate routes across the country. Seems to me
like you need to book 7 days anyway, and the
difference between a 5 day beeline and 7 day excursion
route is of interest to some of us. I much preferred
the trip to the over rated autocross actually.

We took the northern route to include both Yellowstone
and Glacier parks when we went. Yellowstone is about
250 miles out of the way, Glacier kinda in route, so
it adds maybe 500 miles to do it.
Towing through Yellowstone was no issue, Pinkie
contrasted nicely with the green, and a fellow offered
me some great wheels for my BMW! but Glacier would not
let us pull over the pass because of the narrow road
and bicyclists. They did suggest we unload and drive
Pinkie both ways though. 8-) Almost did. 8-) 8-0
Bicyclists indeed. The river road around the park was
great anyway. And all of it was far better than
Wendover!
We picked up the Babbs out of Washington on the third
night in Nebraska and traveled in with them. We had a
tail wind on the southern leg, and a 50mph tailwind is
a great thing in a motorhome! That same wind would
have been a full on side wind on I80! Might have saved
that extra 500 miles of gas right there!

We did the following on another trip, but on the
subject, the return trip can be more scenic by turning
south off I70 and picking up the "Grand Esplanade" of
canyons through Utah including Bryce and Zion. This
brings you to St George and Las Vegas and Bakersfield.
Las Vegas may well blow your time table and budget,
but by then you know how much extra you brought along
anyway. Well, it still is more interesting than
Wendover!

Somehow, the main routes seem just the same, the
"black line" roads are much  more interesting. Kinda
like dog teams, something about the view never
changing unless you are out front.

Dennis the banished.

http://invites.yahoo.com/