Communicating penalties to competitors

To: "Steven J. Sherwood" <ssher@home.com>
Subject: Communicating penalties to competitors
From: Rich Urschel <OSP13@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 21:39:11 -0400
Anyone who wants to know as soon and as reliably as possible
whether a penalty has been assessed should make sure the
time posting job is filled before signing up for any other
work assignment.

Radios and PA's don't work for late penalty calls and don't
always get the info out in time for a car to safely sit at the
finish line waiting for it. Announcers don't always remember
to check for cone calls, and time slip persons can't always
hear/understand the announcer.

>From now on if anyone such as the dozen or so drivers in
group one last Sunday ask me if their run was clean I am
going to suggest they go check the postings. And I will
make sure the time posting job is filled in my work group.

If seven more of you sign up for time postings, I will then
make a motion in the Steering Committee Meeting that
we make the postings absolutely final 30 minutes after
the end of the run group in compliance with 8.3.8.C
(not mandatory for regional events) in the SCCA
National Solo 2000 Rule Book.

No more surprises a week or months later when
someone who thinks they are doing the right
thing changes their (and other driver's) results.
Neither cards nor time slips nor postings are
immune to error, but we should opt to make
something visible and official at the event.

Does Sunday's third place finisher (now second)
know that he is now 10 points more behind in
the season championship than he thought? Can
he now not afford to skip the next event and
not know it? Will he find out about the
scoring change when he reads the points
listed in the Wheel in September?

Changing results after the fact is not good.
Someone who presumably thought he was
doing the right and honorable thing months
after an event and a month after the Sac
season was over last year cost me a
championship. Talk about not knowing how
hard you have to go on your next *run*!
The "real" champion found out from me
in the hallway at the banquet.  We can
do better than this. Sign up to post