Re: Round 6 thank you and question

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Round 6 thank you and question
From: "Jerry Mouton" <jerry@moutons.org>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 21:13:25 -0700
Alan,

Next time, I'd tell the driver that it's illegal and
dangerous to run without a lug nut.  Tell the starter or
grid person, and if possible the event chair.  Don't just
let them run.

I had a student at ax school arrive without a lug nut, and
I refused to let him use the car (I got my other student
to let him use his). Because:

- Did the mechanic that lost the nut properly tighten
  the rest?

- If the car has been driven hard without a lug, esp. with
  the others improperly tightened, stress fatigue is very
  definitely possible.

- With a little bad luck the wheel could come off at speed
  and maybe severely injure a course worker or spectator.
  Autocrossing puts _LOTS_ of stress on wheel lugs.

- Naturally a car without a wheel would be out of control,
  perhaps putting the driver and others at risk -- rollover could
  conceivably result.

- Such an incident could lose us the use of one or more of our
  sites -- PERMANENTLY.

If you have a car without a full complement of lug nuts or bolts,
engaging a significant number of threads and properly torqued,
_DO_NOT_RUN_OUR_EVENTS_!  Don't even drive your car
on the highway if you care about your safety or that of others.

If you are a tech inspector, _FAIL ANY ANOMALIES IN WHEEL
ATTACHMENT_!  It is your responsibility to check that all
wheels are properly attached (Testing Torque may not be a requirement,
but is not a bad practice)  People can be hurt!

Jerry

Jerry Mouton        mailto:jerry@moutons.org    Laissez les bons temps
rouler!