DeAnza

To: lella@gotnet.net
Subject: DeAnza
From: Dennis Hale <dhale_510@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 08:05:31 -0700 (PDT)
  Goldine ran the Tui to TTOD many times at DeAnza.
Surface is nothing like Candlestick. Smooth, slippery
from all the cheap college commuter cars dripping, and
very tight. Kind of a rinky dink lot compared to
airport venues we have become used to, but much better
than the ball park on landfill one. The Ralt will fit
and not scrape.
  The registration is limited to the first 275. It
fills before 9AM and there are always turnaways.
Generally you need to be in line at 7:30 to have a
chance. Tough to do from Modesto.
  The format is no work assignments, no run groups, no
predictable time to run. The college autoshop hosts
and works the event as an annual fund raiser. We all
get to act like ProSolo bigshots for a day! One three
lap "sudden death" set per contestant. Lap one is
"practice", Laps two plus three are your score. Under
1 minute is very good, the course is about 30 seconds
long. The course is as close as same as can be done
every year, kind of like a hill climb. I think Goldine
got a 49 one year. My best is a 59, in 1997.
  It is a huge spectator event, as good as the street
races in Vallejo were. Camicia's commentaries as the
announcer rival Billy Crystal at the Oscars for most
of us!
  The location is Hwy 85 at Hwy 280, NW corner of the
San Jose area. You probably need to leave at 5:30.
  Mostly classes are SCCA [actuually they use the
NASA/X variation with vintage classes added]. You will
still run as BM. The Christmans will run their CM
S2000 car, maybe Art Allen in his Tui. The Goldine Tui
is still apart as I understand and Bernsteins are
roadracing. I doubt any other formula type cars will
be there.

=====
Dennis Hale