from the attic...

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: from the attic...
From: "Phil Esra" <philesra@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 12:16:48 PDT
A big thanks to David Parker for excavating these for me. Good stuff for
those who weren't around for, or want a rehash of, the brutally long
off-season of '98... (it's long)

phil

From: "Kelly, Katie" <katiek@spss.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 16:33:57 -0500
Subject: RE: A better sunscreen

Sticky in Sunnyvale writies:

- ----------------
I'm getting really sick and tired of feeling sticky and gooey all
weekend
from most sunscreens I've tried. And M3's leather interior likes it even
less:-). What are the better non-greasy sunscreens on the market? Any
suggestions?
- ---------------

So glad you asked, Boris! Tired of feeling gooey myself (and attracting
dust and asphalt particles which stuck to my legs all day), I took my
problems to my local Clinique counter at Macy's. I said, "Look, don't
try to sell me any make up. I'm just sick of sticky sunscreen. And by
the way, do you have any tinted lip balm?"

Mitsy immediatly asked me some basic skin questions, like: Do you wash
your face, are you aware that if you don't use our products, you're face
will fall off, don't you feel like a freak shopping in here with your
naked facial skin exposed so we can all see your freckles and laugh
lines?

Then she filled in my answers into this little chart and came up with
the perfect tinted and UV protectent lip balm for me. I was expecting
glow in the dark lips, but surprise! I was actually quite satisfied with
the muted and natural looking color.

Then we moved on to the sunscreen. What I learned from Mitzi are there
are two kinds. I forgot exactly what they are, because all I wanted was
sunblock, not a lesson in hide tanning. Well, you might actually find
this interesting. The two kinds are called something like "chemical" and
"non-chemical." The chemical kinds actually absorb the sun light. They
are very easy to apply. However, they only last a short time and you
have to reapply often.

The non-chemical types take a little work to rub into the skin. It's
best to use freshly exfoliated skin. The term "exfoliate" is a very
large word which really means "to scrub clean." To demonstrate this,
Mitzi took a piece of scotch tape from the tape holder which she
actually had strung around her neck like a neckless. FrrrrEAK! She stuck
it on the top of my hand and removed. Ooooo! That's dead skin! Very
gross. She then applied a mild non-abrasive purply tinted chemical to
the area and said, "This works as well as an exfoliate." Apparently,
this chemical eats away at your dead skin, rendering it clean, shiny and
new.

Then she applied the non-chemical sunscreen to my hand. "Doesn't this
feel nice?" she said. Actually, it did. I could not tell the difference
between that and my fully naked exposed skin on the other hand. The
advantage of the non-chemical sunscreen is that it actually BLOCKS the
sun from ever reaching your skin, Mitzi says. It takes a little longer
to work onto the skin, but chances are, you can probably wear it all
day. "But don't forget to exfoliate that night, or it will stay there
forever!" she reminded me. How comforting.

Also, you really don't need to use too much of the stuff, which makes it
even less sticky.

A non-chemical sunscreen might be easier on your car's leather interior,
as well.

Or, you might try applying the sunscreen all over your car's leather
interior, just to even out the chemical (or "non-chemical") reaction.

Then again, I'm having a hard time understanding how the "non-chemicals"
in non-chemical sunscreens got the name "non-chemical." All the
ingredients still have long, hard to pronounce names if you ask me. It's
kind of freaky, what we put on our skin to protect it from this natural
star in the sky. At least I know what the sun does to me. What does this
stuff do that I can't see?

Oh well.

Any men reading this might want to go somewhere other than the Clinique
counter, as the employees there generally frown upon facial hair. But at
least you know a little bit more about sunscreen. Probably more than you
ever wanted to, I bet.

Katie Kelly
Technical Publications
SPSS Bay Area