RE: disaster at Sac/SP8000 tire wear

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: disaster at Sac/SP8000 tire wear
From: "Watson, Mark" <Mark.Watson@Schwab.COM>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 10:22:40 -0700
Phil wrote:

> Hmm. I ran SP8000s on the old Civic with no drama. Liked them a lot. It
> sounds like your Tiburon might have a pretty tire-unfriendly camber curve.
>
> But the problem might also be that it's just really nose-heavy. That
> McClellan surface is pretty seriously abrasive, too.

My Integra is equally as nose heavy as the Tiburon, so front pressures
should be close to what I was running,  42 lbs was what I ran in front (on
cement)

If your car understeers severely at the limit, you will really cook the
fronts at any pressure, I would recommend running the rears either real low
(say 28 lbs) or real high (maybe 50 lbs) to get the rear end to rotate in
the turns.   A stiffer rear bar or higher spring rates in the rear will also
help with understeer.

I was able to get about 50-60 runs on the RE71's with a 2650 lb. Integra

Hope that helps..

-Mark

Phil continues:

> When you say they were still rolling over with 53 lbs of air, were you
> checking with shoe polish? You might try +5 lbs with whatever your next
> set
> of tires is and see if that helps. Mark W and I found that his RE71s and
> my
> SP8000s seemed to work best when they were rolling over more than optimal
> for wear--if you put enough air in them so they didn't roll over at all,
> they didn't seem to stick as well. But even with that, mine were good for
> at
> least 100 runs or so and 15k miles. They *did* wear out out first on the
> outside shoulder. Sorry to hear about the tires' untimely demise. I
> wouldn't
> THINK your front toe settings would cause that, but I dunno. And I would
> guess that your camber isn't particularly adjustable, so it seems unlikely
>
> that it's out of spec badly on both sides.

Phil's still talking..does this guy ramble, or what?            :)