Re: AutoShow/ best line

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: AutoShow/ best line
From: David Rowney <daver@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 09:54:18 -0700
I think James would have beaten the instructors also - I've found my BMW
with traction control ON (and no limited slip) to be about 1.5 sec. slower
on a 60 sec. course.  The BMW system interferes with the throttle too long,
at least on my '97 model.

The effectiveness of a car in getting torque to the ground while turning is
also a big factor in lines chosen, I think.  Without an effective limited
slip I think a later apex is more effective so the car can be accelerated
with more downforce on the inside drive wheel.  And this is MORE important
in the typical autocross turn before a straight compared most road racing
turns, because you are probably in 2nd gear rather than 3rd-4th.

Dave