Re: Rotary torque & noise

To: Donald R McKenna <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Rotary torque & noise
From: "Michael R. Clements" <mrc01@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 23:47:58 -0800
Power (in horsepower) and Torque (in foot pounds) are always
equal at 5,252 RPM because of the English units conversion:

P = 2 * pi * n * T / 33000
Where n is RPM and T is torque. Since 33000 / (2 * pi) is 5,252,
they are equal at 5,252 RPM.

The peak torque can be before, at or after 5,252 RPM. It depends
on the engine. All the math says it that they're equal at that
point. But why worry about torque when it's power that really
matters?

The final step is to account for the fact that torque at the
wheel of the car is equal to the torque at the crankshaft
multiplied by the relative rotational speeds of the wheel and the
crankshaft. Of course that depends on your gear ratio and your
engine RPM -- which is obvious because we all know that you get
better accleration in 1st gear than in 4th gear.

In short, the higher RPM at which you get your torque, the more
acceleration you get. Power is torque multiplied by RPM.

Torque may give some guys hard-ons, but it doesn't by itself make
the car go fast. For that you need power.

--
Michael R. Clements
mrc01@flash.net