Re: Curve size

To: evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Curve size
From: "John A. Carriere" <jacarriere@jacircuits.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 09:36:23 -0500
Hi Greg,

The 1988 South Course had that big sweeping turn in it with ~ 155 ft
turn radius.  You were in that turn for a long time.  Most folks were
not used to cornering at that speed for that long and there were some
complaints.  There were the same exaggerated claims of speeds over 65
MPH in stock cars (more like 55).  You may remember that Nationals
courses were changed to reduce cornering speeds after that.

John

At 03:28 PM 2/21/2006, you wrote:
>    Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:50:34 -0600
>    From: Sam & Greg Scharnberg <samandgreg@netins.net>
>Subject: Curve size
>
>Wow!  That's huge.  This kind of information should be available to
>SSSs.  Not as a hard and fast rule, but it sure is helpful information
>since there is no reasonable way for an SSS to look at a turn and know what
>speeds will be reached.  I don't think I have ever approved a course with a
>turn that big.
>
>Greg Scharnberg
>(My last year as an SSS)

JACircuits Autocross Timing Systems
     http://www.jacircuits.com
- Timing the SCCA Solo II Nationals since 1985