Ft Myers Speeds

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Ft Myers Speeds
From: "trog@wincom.net" <trog@wincom.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 18:39:57 GMT
I've had data logging on the Talon since 1998, and I have a
record of every single run I ever made in the car - and more
than a few of other people driving too.

The Talon would routinely break 70 MPH. 350HO, 2800lbs, AWD,
and a tall 2cd gear means that it's pretty much inevitable.
At most Pros, I'd hit 60 MPH before even reaching the first
turn.

But oddly enough, average/median speeds were ~ 45 MPH, and
that has remained pretty much constant. You see the odd
event with averages close to 55 MPH, but there has been no
general "speed creep" that I have seen, and like I say, I
have the data.

But independant of weither one believes that "speed creep"
exists or not, there is zero justification in the rules to
thow out a day's competition because one car hit a peak
speed of 83 MPH. The section of the rulebook that discusses
speed is a guideline, not a binding rule. The protest should
have been thrown out, as technically, you cannot protest a
non-binding guideline.

Had I been there, and had my runs been thrown out, I would
have been FURIOUS. The whole point of the event is to as
fast as one can within the bounderies of the course; to turf
an entire day of competition because one driver managed to
go fast is sheer lunacy.

DG