Re: U/B in ST

To: "Autox team.net Autox" <Autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: U/B in ST
From: "Bill Cadenhead" <vwracers@dslextreme.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 18:27:37 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven T. Ekstrand" <cyberlaw@earthlink.net>
To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2004 8:33 AM

> he has to find a motor from a year/model that exactly matches his car.
> Even if motors are identical in every way except for the serial numbers
> they won't be legal if that serial number match isn't exact.<<<<<<<<<
>

> ??????   In Stock class you can't use a factory replacement/warranty
> motor???
> I'm talking indentical part and casting number, same year, factory sealed
> motor?
>
> That's insane.  Is that a rule or is it some "isn't a specific allowance,
so
> you can't do it BS."
>
> There are some makers that used to stamp the serial number portion of the
> VIN on transmission cases.  So, you couldn't swap trannies either for a
bone
> stock replacement in those cars, but you could in cars that don't stamp
the
> serial number?  Celica and WRX owners must be thankful for that.  Of
course,
> what's the number mean?  Either you can replace or you can't.  So, all
those
> replaced trannies must just be on the cars of cheaters, who can't get
> caught.
>
> I spend 20 years helping build recordholding NHRA Stockers and I never
> encountered a tenth of the rules silliness I've faced running SCCA the
past
> 4 years.
>
> -Steve Ekstrand
> www.conemangler.com

After I broke my legal Race engine that my son Dan Cadenhead had built for
his 1979 EP VW Rabbit in about 1985 or so. I found a not so SCCA legal 2.0
engine in a wrecked VW for $200.00. I now am using the car in track events
were the faster you are the better they like it. All the 1670lb Rabbits
ballast is on the floor in the garage. The last event a Ferrari and a Viper
blew by me on the strait but that took them too deep into the next corner
and I passed them both back in the same corner. I went home HAPPY!!!
Bill Cadenhead