RE: Have you seen the latest Mini ad campaign?

To: "Joe Goeke" <teamnet@hedlygoeke.com>,
Subject: RE: Have you seen the latest Mini ad campaign?
From: "Clay Turner" <clay-turner@am.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 00:49:47 -0600
Hi, Joe,

I saw the Mini insert in this month's R&T. I had the opposite reaction: I
thought it was inspired, and great for autocrossing.

The Mini campaign (from Crispin Porter+Bogusky: http://www.cpbmiami.com/) is
not to be taken literally; it's all about having fun. Other Mini inserts had
you punch out decals and aftermarket parts and stick them onto cutout Minis.
This time they've included punch-out cones, but I doubt few people old enough
to have a driver's license are going to assemble them, let alone take them to
an empty lot and start slaloming. It's tongue-in-cheek, it's informal, and
it's been very effective for BMW.

How many ads have you seen quoting jaw-dropping 0-60 times? They're not
implying you should launch like the rocket sled from each traffic light,
though. BMW doesn't mean to literally do it on your own any more than an ad
touting the BMW M3 GTR's racing success is urging you to take street corners
at 110mph.

My takeaway from the insert was promotion for autocross, plain and simple:
they're using Solo II success as a way to promote the car. The language of
Mini always urges readers to "Let's do this. Let's do that. Let's motor."
They're expressing a unique selling proposition of the Mini in the language of
the campaign, which is much more interesting than another copycat ad that
brags on their racing success.

In short, I think it's fabulously good for Solo II, IMHO. Wouldn't it be
marvelous if this fuels Mini participation in much the same way the
Subaru/SCCA partnership has done for the WRX?

Funny thing about ad campaigns, though: whatever we might think, only the
marketplace will decide which one of us is right. If droves of Mini drivers
get arrested in multiplex parking lots, I'll be the first in line to say I was
wrong.

Respectfully,

Clay Turner
Senior Vice President/Managing Director
Ackerman McQueen/Colorado Springs
(an advertising agency)

-----------------

Just saw a new ad campaign by Mini USA in "Fast Company" magazine, and I must
say I amazed at what they are promoting.  I quote:
"Let's recreate automotive history.  Let's see what this street legal go-kart
can do. Let's find a big, empty parking lot. Let's bust out the orange cones.
Let's pull out the stopwatch. Let's set a slalom course for adventure. Let's
get readyl. Let's get set. Let's Motor".

They include a fold out cutout set of cones you can assemble with the
following instructions:
1) Locate abandoned parking lot or airport as potential slalom course.
2) Remove cones from perforations. Fold and space evenly. Road & Track uses
100ft intervals, but they're pro's.
3) Start your engine. Start the clock. Avoid cones like it's your job.
4) Compare results with friends. Prepare to be impressed.

All this with pictures representing each step.

Call me a over reacting fool, but is BMW / Mini USA this stupid?  Do they
know
the liability box they have just opened.  Are they so naive to think this is
"good idea".  Just what our sport needs is a bunch of ya-hoo kids going
around
staging slalom testing in random parking lots cause "BWM said to".

There are no disclaimers, no "don't try this at home" statements.  They are
really promoting folks to go out and do this.

This appears totally irresponsible and I would think very bad for our sport.
I'm sent this to Howard and Tasha in case the SCCA is not aware of this.

Am I nuts or is this nuts?
---JHG

                       Need to host a website?

                        Goeke Computer Services