Re: Prepared chassis stiffening

To: Smokerbros@aol.com
Subject: Re: Prepared chassis stiffening
From: Iain Mannix <mannix@rmsolo.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 13:30:23 -0700 (MST)
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 Smokerbros@aol.com wrote:

> This was discussed during my tenure on the SEB.
Yes, you can stiffen the chassis.  But if you go
above the window sill, driver's shoulders, etc.
and it starts to look like a roll bar or cage,
then it has to conform to the rules for a bar or cage.

Interesting - I've not found mention of this in the rulebook;
is there a Fastrack that covers it?

Basically, the way I've always looked at it is simple:

1. Closed cars do not require cages in Prepared.
2. Chassis stiffening is explicitly allowed in Prepared.

Simple.  Weld a tube in that stiffens the chassis, it is
chassis "reinforcement."

Not advocating "unsafe" pseudo-cages, but I've not seen mention
of this above the shoulder mention - where is it?

Thanks!

Iain Mannix(the EP Rabbit has a legal roll bar with a bunch of
stuff welded to it - I'd consider it a safe pseudo-cage;)