RE: Prepared chassis stiffening

To: "Travis Woodbury" <twoodbury@irobot.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Prepared chassis stiffening
From: "Haden, Bruce" <bhaden@ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 07:50:27 -0800
I have a question about the allowance of chassis stiffening for use in
EP.

15.2.B of the '01 rulebook(sorry, it's the latest I own) states:

        Chassis, frame, or subframe may be reinforced, provided
components and
attachments are not relocated except where specifically permitted....

This is a pretty broad allowance and I want to make sure I apply it
properly.  At what point does an arrangement of steel tubes within the
passenger compartment, engine bay and/or trunk with the sole purpose of
stiffening the chassis, become a roll cage controlled by the rules of
the GCR?

I don't have the book handy, but I believe the GCR cage rules are
RECOMMENDED, not required for SOLO2 use. It isn't required to have a
cage at all and therefore would make no sense to say, basically "...all
or nothing..."

Basicly, I'm looking to stiffen my chassis with a 'cage like structure'
but don't want the extra complexity, cost and weight of a full cage
under the GCR.  For example, I see no need for side impact foot
protection...

I'm going the same route on mine whenever I get back to working on it.
Mine already has a 6 point bar with fore and aft braces to the footwell
and rear bumper areas.

It would seem that 15.2.B is sufficiently broad that I can pretty much
do anything I want to stiffen the chassis and as long as it's not deemed

to be 'unsafe', I'd be legal.

I concur. Anybody out there disagree? If you do, I'd be interested in
your opinion also.

        Bruce Haden, EP Pinto