Re: Turbo cars in SP

To: <autox@autox.team.net>, <strano@stranoparts.com>
Subject: Re: Turbo cars in SP
From: "Crider, James A." <JamesCrider@metaldyne.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:34:24 -0500
Thought:  Gotta turbo?  Want to modify it beyond stock?  Welcome to Street
Modified.  Do not pass Street Prepared, do not collect SP-category trophies, go
directly to SM.

Radical?  Perhaps.  But SM already exists as a sort of "go for it" rules set
that is seemingly tailor-made for turbo cars.

Note:  Mechanically-supercharged cars are distinct from turbo-supercharged cars
in this case.  Why?  Because you can police drive and driven pulley diameters a
hell of a lot easier than you can wastegate solenoid or
variable-geometry-turbine settings, which are increasingly built into the PCM
in order to properly monitor them for emissions and OBD compliance.  We'd need
some sort of multi-manufacturer code translator that can read, find, and
display the coded settings in order to enforce the electronic controls.  I
don't see that becoming available to SCCA's Solo program anytime soon.  Hell,
the FIA has had no end of trouble doing that in F1, with far fewer car/engine
combos to police.

But you can measure drive/driven pulley diameters with a good set of calipers.
So mechanically-supercharged cars are different from an enforcement perspective.

I can't claim credit for the origins of this idea, but I'll let its originator
step up and claim credit if he wishes.  He knows who he is, and floated this
one by me the other day to see what I thought of it.  Upon reflection, it's a
good idea.

{ritual disclaimer} And yes, I do have a dog in this fight.  I've got nothing
against turbo cars per se, and certainly nothing against their owners and
drivers. {/ritual disclaimer}

Jim Crider
ESP #65 '99 Mustang Cobra
autojim@despammed.com

This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
information that may be confidential and/or copyright. If you are not the
intended recipient please notify the sender by reply email and immediately
delete this email. Use, disclosure or reproduction of this email by anyone
other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. No representation
is made that this email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning
is recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient. Thank you. Metaldyne
LLC