Re: Turbo Cars in SP

To: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Turbo Cars in SP
From: Sam Strano <strano@stranoparts.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 19:44:02 -0500
At 09:52 AM 12/12/2003 -0500, dg50@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:

>You haven't fixed the problem. Assuming a willful cheater and
>computer-controlled boost (where the boost solenoid has sufficiant control
>authority, not a given) you can do an "impound" setting of 2lbs over stock
>(whatever "stock" is, there's another kettle of fish) and then an on-course
>setting of stock + x.

Ok, fair enough.

>The simplest solution is to not go where the problem is. If limits cannot
>be enforced, stop trying. Allow boost controllers, allow whatever boost
>increase they can get (they are limited to the amount of flow provided by
>the stock turbo, which is a hard limit, so this isn't an infinate power
>knob) and allow whatever power increase comes out of that. If it is
>excessive for a given car in a given class, then reclass the car.

Ok, also fair enough.  Trouble is, one can claim they are making stock
boost, and therefore don't need reclassed.  And the whole argument about
classing "types" of cars vs. performance starts again...

>Knowing what I do about turbo cars, my estimate is that 90% of the cars out
>there will not gain enough performance to actually require reclassing. OEM
>turbos are normally sized on the small side to promote throttle response;
>there just isn't enough excess flow capacity to make huge gains in most
>cases.

What about the other 10%?  It's not fair to say since 90% can't, the other
10% shouldn't matter.  I'd love to run sub-frame connectors..... But it
only really effects us pony-cars, and I know that I can't lobby for a rule
change and expect to get anywhere realistically because it doesn't effect
everyone else equally.

>There are a couple of exceptions... but even then, power is no panacea. It
>is entirely possible to have a powerful car that handles like crap. A large
>power increase is not necessarily an indicator of a need to reclass a car.

True.  However, it's possible you can make a car handle well and add a lot
of power too.  Power is not panacea, but it's always the first thing us V-8
guys get tossed in our faces too.  On one hand we shouldn't worry because
we have so much "more" power (never mind hooking it up or that we weight a
lot more).  But on the other hand we shouldn't worry if that advantage goes
away.  It's a conundrum.............

Sam Strano Jr.
Strano Performance Parts
www.stranoparts.com