Re: Z4 hardtops in SSB

To: <BobTunnell@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Z4 hardtops in SSB
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:57:28 -0500
Unbelievable!

Is that not, in effect, the CoA overruling the Comp Board's right to
classify a car as the Comp Board sees fit to do so? The only way that makes
sense is if the car as raced is not the car as classified -- and if that's
the case it should be illegal on much easier grounds of technical
specifications than on some aspect of bureaucratic procedure.

I have always had great respect for those who serve on such
boards/committees/courts, and admittedly I have no idea of the details here,
but this seems prima facie that the CoA screwed the pooch. And certainly
those Z4 drivers who have been racing in good faith all season.

It seems to me, and at least once I was on a protest committee that used
this as a basis of decision, if the Comp Board has classified a vehicle for
competition then that vehicle is classified. There is no basis for appeal on
such grounds.

The case in which I was on the PC, at a Solo II Nationals, the premise
raised was that the car in question had not been produced in the 1000/year
quantity specified for the category. We even queried the Solo Board (about
the rule point, not the car) before deciding, and the answer we got was
basically, the 1000/year was their guideline, but they as the controlling
board had the leeway to mandate exceptions where warranted. From that, we
ruled the questioned car legal on the premise that the Solo Board by
including it had thus declared it so.

--Rocky Entriken