Re: [evolution-disc.] Was UD/BD ST

To: "Team.net List" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] Was UD/BD ST
From: "Mike Smith" <msmith2@columbus.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 19:03:28 -0400
If the Azenis were more expensive than Hoosiers, you might see attrition,
but perhaps not all that much. The Azenis is still useful as a street
tire.... (at least when new)

What I suggested is a bit different. Suppose Hoosier made a S3S03 instead of
a A3S03 (with the 'S' being 'street' like 'A' is autocross), and gave it the
same price tag and a 140 treadwear rating. The Hoosiers come with little to
no tread, which is great for dry autocrossing, but it's lethal as a street
tire. You couldn't only have 1 set of wheels with these, and their price
would be the same as the "R" tires. So, if you need a 2nd set of wheels
anyway, why would you use "street" tires to race on that are just as
dangerous on the street as their "R" equals?

That's what I'm saying about the Advan 046's that come on the EVO. Sure, it
has more tread than a Hoosier, but it's softer than an Azenis and isn't good
in wet or snow (not that an Azenis is either). Even Mitsubishi suggests you
get a 2nd set of wheels and tires for inclement weather. They also specify
that the tires are not expected to last beyond 10,000 miles. When the
manufacturer is telling you these things, you know you are really starting
to blur the difference between a ST tire and a SP tire.

It's not necessarily a high price that would devalue ST, but the ability to
actually use them as street tires. If you can't use them as street tires,
and the prices are similar, you might as well get race tires.

Mike