Fw: SEB-Update/Backdate in STS, STX

To: evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Fw: SEB-Update/Backdate in STS, STX
From: bthatch@juno.com
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 09:06:37 -0400
--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: bthatch@juno.com
To: seb@scca.org

Dear SEB

You have asked for member input about the proposed rules change to
eliminate updating and backdating in STS and STX.

I don't think the rule allowing updating and backdating in STS and STX
should be eliminated.

The original intent of setting up the ST category included updating and
backdating. The whole reasoning for establishing the ST category was to
give competitors a street legal category with modifications allowed
between Stock category and Street Prepared category. Eliminating
update/backdate will put an unreasonable hardship on any competitor that
suffers catestrophic engine/transmission/rear end failure. Going to a
junkyard to find a component will be, essentially, done away with because
all parts put on his car must come from the exact same model and year to
qualify as a legal part.

There has been an outcry from some competitors about the "Frankencars"
being developed that never came from the original manufacturer so
equiped. These competitors, obviously, never read the rules before
competing in the class, because this allowance has been there since the
beginning. Creative rules readers have invested their time and energy to
develop ST legal cars. I haven't noticed these "Frankencars" dominating
the category. Why make a rules change that is the equivalent of catering
to people moving into a house next to an airport and then complaining
about the noise?

As the category matures, I think doing away with updating and backdating
in ST will mean that competitors will have to keep buying the latest and
greatest car to stay competitive. The current rule allows the creative
car owner to keep an older car competitive by judicious use of junkyard
parts.

I believe that the ST category has a bright future with the current
ruleset. I forsee additional classes being developed to broaden the
appeal of the category to more cars. I feel that it is important to be
able to do Street Prepared like limited modifications to a fully street
legal car has a broad appeal and that is why the STS/STX fields are so
well subscribed at the national level and especially at the local level.
Many have chosen to run ST instead of SP because the rules are similar
but ST cars must remain street legal. These competitors don't want to
develop unlicensable cars that can only be used on the autocross course.
Booting update/backdate will make ST too close to Stock category and
further from Street Prepared category.

Leave updating backdating alone in ST. It is a good rule.

Sincerely,

Ben Thatcher
http://ApexBenefits.biz