Re: [evolution-disc.] Please comment on the August Fastrack

To: <awhollis@swbell.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] Please comment on the August Fastrack
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <knuckledragger@kcweb.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:55:04 -0400
----- Original Message -----
> Please submit clear, concise, enforceable wording that will speel out what
> you suggest (u/b yes, but no drivetrain).  We've tried.  You participate
in
> the StreetTouring Yahoo group so you know how many folks have tried and
> failed.
My quick & dirty disallowance wording is something along the lines of:
"Engines, transmissions, transaxles and/or rear ends are specifically
excluded from U/B.  Each car must run the correct drivetrain parts (engine,
transmissions, transaxle,rear end) for that chassis/trim level."  I'm sure
the wording can be smoothed out a bunch, but that's the gist of it.

I would still like to allow a guy the option of installing a functionally
identical engine from another, possibly newer, year car when his engine
blows up.  But getting that allowance worded while not allowing
"advantageous" engine swaps would be difficult, but not impossible.  An
allowance for this might say something along the lines of "Drivetrain parts
from alternate cars on the same SP listing line are allowed as long as the
factory rated output/specs are identical to the part(s) being replaced."
This allows a later, but identical engine/tranny/rear to be installed into
an earlier car.

Thoughts?

> To wit, eliminate drivetrain swaps and I can still take an 89 Civic Si,
and
> ud/bd every piece of lightweight trim from the base model Civic to get
> almost the same result as starting with the base car and changing the
> drivetrain.
=======================================
That's fine if someone wants to go to those extremes as long as the engine
matches the chassis/trim level as produced by the factory.  I submit that
most folks will not want to go quite that far.  But, this is why we/I do
still want the U/B allowance.  I want to be able to remove a trim piece
here, put in a lighter console there and so on and so forth.  Swapping to
lighter interior parts or bumpers is more "in the spirit" of Street Touring
than are engine swaps.

What we're saying is that there are already plenty of classes and categories
that do allow engine swaps and we don't want to be one of them.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
'98 Dodge Neon STS #69
www.geocities.com/eric10mm/KnuckleDragger
"In Paris they simply stared when I spoke to them in French;
I never did succeed in making those idiots understand their language."
Mark Twain