Re: Bearing-like perch?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bearing-like perch?
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:17:37 -0500
> I think I have a "binding" issue between my Hypercoils and the perches
due
> to friction.

That's entirely possible.

There's actually a couple of things going on - a coil spring with a
flat-ground coil does not exert equal force on the perch surface due to the
difference in wire diameter in the last coil. This biases the force
distribution slightly to one side, and can introduce a bending moment
across the spring, shock rod, etc.

If your upper and lower spring perches do not remain co-axial and parallel
(which can happen in some suspensions) that can also introduce a spring
bending moment.

> Wasn't it Hypercoil that recentlyintroduced a handy-dandy new
bearing-like
> perch to eliminate this type of rotational binding?  I know I saw it in
> either Sports Car or Grass Roots Motorsports not too long ago but don't
want
> to go digging too deep to find the ad again.

Yes. Hypercoil has a hydraulic spring platform that acts like a great big
spherical bearing, and compensates for these effects. Ideally, you want 2
per shock (top and bottom of the spring)

However, be aware that they run $160 each....

There is another solution though that gets you about halfway to the full on
Hypercoil setup. If you get a set of radial needle thrust bearings (from
your local bearing supply house) and place them between the spring and the
perch, you allow the spring to rotate relative to the perches as it
compresses/extends, and you take up some of the unwanted forces. It's not
as good as the Hypercoil setup, but it helps.

These bearings run about $10 each.

They also make changing ride height much nicer.

DG