P.R.O.

To: "nwlist" <nwautox@wwscc.org>, "Team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: P.R.O.
From: "Joe Goeke" <joe_goeke@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 23:24:06 -0800
I normally don't comment on events I run, but I feel compelled to do so this
time.  Anna and I just returned from participating in the Precision Racing Org
event in Fontana CA this last weekend.

In a word:  WOW!

I am totally impressed with not only the quality of these events, but the
people behind it.  While the attendance was lower than I had expected, and
much lower than desired by the staff, they performed like they had the whole
world attending.  Everything was run with an attention to detail, and
professionalism.  I've been doing this for a lot of years, with a lot of
organizations, and I never see a group role out such a great program in such a
short time, with all of the "right stuff".  These guys are poised for
greatness.

I have to say it again: WOW!

The instant scoring and participant positioning data provided by there system
allows for everyone to follow the exciting events as they unfold, with
precision and accuracy, with very little overhead and staff.  Even from home
you are able to follow the event as if you were standing right there on the
site.  I've always figured this could be done, and know enough about it to
know it's a big feat to do it, yet HERE IT IS! and in such a short ramp up for
the folks putting this on.  Steve Volpe has done an outstanding job of putting
all this together and should be congratulated for not only having the guts to
do it, but for pulling it all off.

My summary of P.R.O. in a few phrases:
"Good for the sport"
"The future of the Autocross sport"
"Poised for excellence"
"A model for all to learn from"

A summary of my racing.  I knew I had my hands full after walking the
excellent Hayward Wagner course.  Multi national champ George Doganis stated
this course was "the best course I've every run".  The very quick and power
hungry course had lots of sweepers and yet loads of content.  Made me wish I
had the S2000 handy, or a Z06, for it was truly a "sports car lovers" course.
Most cars were in the 60 second range, and the course never exceeding 2nd gear
in the GS A4.  With the "floor it and steer" nature of the course for me, I
was pleased that I held 4th (lead the index class) for the first two rounds,
but I taped out in round three, and slipped to 3rd as the other hot drivers in
the index class (largest class by far), finally passed me, and there ya have
it :-).

The only down side to the weekend, was some of the rumblings I heard that
there are folks within the SCCA and SEB that are "bad mouthing" this
organization.  While I don't pretend to know any details, all I can say is,
how is attacking such a visionary and capable group "Good for the sport".
There is so much room for more than one national level program in the solo
world.  I say lets embrace it, encourage it, work with it, and learn from it.
This approach is "Good for the sport".

Did I mention... WOW?

---JHG
425-442-4617