Re: Minor waivers

To: Rocky Entriken <rocky@tri.net>
Subject: Re: Minor waivers
From: John Lieberman <jlieberman@sport.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 15:33:20 -0600
I'll try to address your points one-by-one, Rocky...

Rocky Entriken wrote:
> Philosophically, I don't disagree at all. And I also rather liked the
> practice of having the parent/responsible adult sign the regular event
> waiver in the name of the minor (if he already had the minor waiver on
> file). That way, the minor was accounted for in the waivers FOR THAT EVENT.

I don't disagree with you there.  That gave us a good record.  However,
as I appreciate it, that's no longer required

> Also, the section in the waiver guidelines on minor waivers keeps referring
> to "annual/multi-event waiver." The word "annual" would seem to suggest it
> be done every year.

That's my take on it - and the way I interpreted what Pete said in KC

> But, talking with Judy Cox yesterday -- she's the Insurance Administrator in
> Topeka -- that is not how it was explained to me. Assuming I did not
> misunderstand (always possible, but I asked the question in a couple of
> different ways), the pink sheet becomes the "forever" waiver for a minor.

I tried to call Pete a few minutes ago to get it straight from the
horse's mouth.  But, as luck would have it, he's out of the office
today.  I'll try again Monday

> Probably the idea it is good "forever" is the final sentences of the
> guidelines: "Adult waivers must be retained a minimum of four years. Minor
> waivers must be retained until one year AFTER the minor reaches the age of
> majority." [their caps]. No need to keep it more than four years unless it
> was somehow still valid that long? Which in fact, in the past it has been.

I believe that has to do with the statute of limitations - which, as I
understand it, is different for adults and minors.  Personally, I just
stick 'em all in a filing cabinet and leave 'em there until they rot or
I run out of storage space!!!

> But if I'm getting bum dope, or hearing it wrong, I'd sure want to know
> sooner rather than later.

Absotootly!  That's why I raised the flag.  With the state of the
insurance industry being what it is today, Pete's really adamant about
us filling out the waiver forms - adult or minor - properly and
completely.  He worked long and hard to get the insurance people to
agree to just one minor waiver.  Now he wants to make sure that we're
all on the same page (and I do TOO)

He and I are working on an article for the next Safety Belt on this very
issue.  I'll report back to EVERYBODY when I get some clarification from him

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman