Re: Supplemental classes

To: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Subject: Re: Supplemental classes
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 10:27:36 -0400
> Well we are not all that far apart on your reply this time. Conceptually
> agree with most of what you say. I do think your numbers a little stiff,
> the point of being unrealistic. Not when 21 of 32 classes did not reach
your
> 40 number.

But that's exactly the point. In a world with too many classes as it is,
the creation of a new class must address a problem or hole in the existing
class structure that is _so_ big that fixing it creates another CP. (by
which I mean a popular, well-subscribed class)

I can, off the top of my head, draft rules for another dozen or so classes.
Each one would be different, interesting, and fun - and each would probably
draw 2 or 3 cars to a Tour, and 15-20 cars at Nationals. Niche classes. Fun
for those in the niche, but an administrative burden to the rest of the
sport. We don't need any more of these.

What we do need are classes that can pull 15-20 cars at a Tour, and 40+
cars at Nationals. And if there is a marketing angle that we can spin for
Pros, so much the better for everyone.

So the process for creating new classes must prevent the former and permit
the latter.

> But the number is an arbitrary thing that is calculating dancing angels
on a
> pinhead.

I agree - but I want to see more angels, not less. Something on the order
of 25 I think is about right. 25 cars is a tough row to hoe for a new class
- as it should be - and is a reasonable minimum for established classes to
have to continue to maintain.

> Once we get a determination that says meet a goal and achieve success,
later
> we can determine what that defined goal should be. It can even be
modified
> year to year but the process would remain. I am more interested here in a
> defined process than what number is the "right" number.

Which is exactly where we are today Rocky - modulo Pat's comments about
F125, which I cannot respond to because I haven't been involved. (And I
agree Pat, if they have met the process targets, they should be in)

> BTW, another element in my mind that I don't think I have voiced here yet
--
> just because a car makes numbers *this year* to attain Championship Class
> status [snip]

Arr... Rocky, you're making this WAY too complex. The more complexity you
bake in, the fewer people will understand it.

And it's not like the current process is widely understood - and it IS
simple.

What is currently _really_ lacking is a process for expiring classes.

What you describe in the tail of your post is essentially the ProSolo
"bumping" process. When you don't bring the minimum 5 cars per class to a
Pro, you get bumped to a higher (faster) class. Once you get bumped, you
are unlikely to win, because the class you've been bumped into is faster.
But to reward you for making the effort and showing up, the "bumped" cars
are assigned series points in order of their ranking.

I'd support something like that for Nationals. Establish a bumping order.
Set a class attendance minimum (25 seems about right) fail to make that
many entrants, and you get bumped - no jacket for that class that year.
Give the fastest guy of the bumped class a trophy. Get bumped twice in a
row (at Nationals) and you get busted down to Divisional level and are not
run at Nationals. If you want back in, get in line at the Supplimental
Class proceedure (and no more than 2 Sup classes in the pipeline at any one
time)

Harsh? You betcha. Maybe this would finally motivate the people in
undersubscribed classes to do either do something about it, or go off
quietly into that great night.

But in any case, I am adament that Supplimental classes NOT be awarded
National Championships until they have run through the process and have
become actual National classes.

DG