Re: Supplemental classes

To: <TeamZ06@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Supplemental classes
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 17:15:08 -0500
Won't quibble, Mark, with your development argument. Basically I agree. To the
point that if, given my scenario, the SEB decides to keep STX and SM2 as
supplemental again next year, giving further time for development, that's
okay. But if it meets the numbers next year, and breaks out next year, then
give it the full championship salute next year. Again.

But what we are saying THIS year is that, for example, Scott McQueen winning a
17-car E Mod class is more deserving than James Gunn-Wilkinson winning a
23-car SM2 class (SM2 broke out from EM). My argument is they are equally
deserving and should receive equal recognition. SM2 made the numbers to rate
it. If only 15 SM2s had showed up, then they would not have been a separate
class and there would not have been a separate champion. That's the
development time of which you speak, Mark. For some classes it may indeed take
some time, and that is a good way to give it that time without according full
status. It is admittedly hard to recognize if a new proposed class will catch
on, or if it will do so quickly or slowly. My proposal allows either to
happen, with full recognition coming when it does (by meeting a specific entry
target -- 18 cars this year.

If a class does not meet the numbers, the top driver might still be saluted,
much as the top F/SAE was this year -- but he is not the "F/SAE Champion"
because they did not have the numbers to be recognized as such. SM2 did. So
did STX. And FWIW, so did F125. BTW, that entry number is total entries. All
three made it on Open entries alone, with the Ladies entries added bonus.

My proposal is a redefinition of "supplemental" as "a class within a class."
F/SAE is a good example (even though they do not call it "supplemental") It
can stay in AM for years with 6-8 cars. But if someday a dozen colleges
decided to send their F/SAE teams and we had 20-25 of them on the lot,
recognize them as their own entity. If we are not sure they can do it again,
leave them as supplemental the next year, and the next, and the next, giving
them their own status ONLY when they bring the numbers to warrant it. F125
could assimilate into AM too if they are not sure about their numbers. The
multi-year development period you advocate is possible (and maybe even a good
practice) under my proposal.

Development? Classes are ALWAYS developing. A standard, however, has been
established: 18 cars at Nationals (which, of course, can be modified any
time). That, BTW, is a standard three "real" classes failed. So tell me again
how SM2, STX and F125 are somehow inferior to AP, BP and FP in driver count,
support and commitment (and I am a P driver, so I'm not advocating their
elimination or anything!).

AP/BP provides a good example of how it COULD work the other direction. Both
had just 9 entries this year total. So BP merges to AP for 2003 Nationals. The
Corvettes still retain their BP identity, but they are scheduled to run
together as a single class. However, if BP booms in with 18 of its own, it
breaks out again and leaves the APs to fend for themselves.

A breakout for this year need not necessarily carry through to next year. If
they want to make it prove itself more than once, I have no problem with that.
But it DID prove itself for this year. Next year's proof is for next year to
determine.

As for the "erroneous Ladies class argument," I think we agree there too,
basically. It is a different animal needing different consideration. Right now
we basically accept it as whatever they bring counts if the open class counts.
Which is why it is good the magic 18 is total entries not Open/Ladies
separately. I'd not like to see an open class of 1-2 cars. 18 is a nice
number, although I wonder how they came up with it. 20 would be good too.
That's an arbitrary determination and IMHO it matters less what the number is
than that there is a number. But if we say X number constitutes its own class,
then once a class hits it, let's do the right thing and recognize it.

By doing so we also answer the question of "how many times to we have to hit
it to be a 'real' class?" The answer becomes, "You are a real class every time
you hit it." We could even, then, do something like: Hit it four years in a
row, and you are no longer supplemental. How's that for development time?

--Rocky Entriken

(permission granted to forward to Evo list)