Re: SM question

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SM question
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 09:47:12 -0400
GSMnow@aol.com wrote:

> The complete wording of the SM engine swap rules was specifically
> written to allow the Honda B series engine swaps into Civics.

Ah, actually, no it wasn't. We stole the rule directly from ProRally (qv
the Mitsubishi 4G63 powered Tiburons) and then clarified it somewhat when a
bunch of FAQs were getting asked.

> The wording seems very grey when you talk about other
> swaps.

Not at all - you just have to read what is written.

> Does the motor have to come from the same car body?

No.

> Can an engine that was never used in the car be swapped in?

Yes.

> There were two Neons at Nationals running a 2.4 litre block.

Actually, there was 1. The Daddio car has a 2.4 litre turbo head, but the
block is a 2.0.

> No one questioned these as not being legal.

That's because they are.

> But could I drop in a Toyota 3.0L V-6 from a Pickup into my
> old rear drive Celica body?

Assuming you can get it to fit, yes.

> The newer pickups now have a 3.4L 24 valve V6, but that is
> over the 3.0 limit for overhead cam engines,

Only if you intend to supercharge/turbocharge. The NA limit is 6.0 litres
with no restriction on valvetrain type.

> 300 hp is not enough in a 2700 pound car

Heh. I'm at 2829 dry, and I make ~320 HP. It's all in how you use it...

DG