RE: [evolution-disc.] Legible numbers (was clarifications to FM

To: GaryK <garyk98@attbi.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [evolution-disc.] Legible numbers (was clarifications to FM
From: Andy Hollis <awhollis@swbell.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 19:13:12 -0500

Agreed.  FM is a pathological case because the numbers are (necessarily)
small due to very little sidepod on which to mount them.  My letter on this
issue has already been sent to the SEB.  I propose uniform size, typeface,
and color for all of the car's numbers.  No mix n' match.  I also propose
that covering up of permanently stickered numbers be done completely, not
with a diagonally mounted piece of thin black tape.  How one can expect to
see that against a 16" high, 4" stroke number from 20 yards is beyond me.
Between magnetics, static cling, and low-tack adhesive vinyl there is no
reason that numbers cannot be completely covered when not in use.  Same
applies to class lettering ("L" or open & Pro Solo)

> The protested car that ran the second day, did so without the length
> violating muffler.  So the car was legal.  Where in the rule book does it
> say that it cannot run the second day if the violation was fixed?
>  Because
> I did not know that rule.

Well, the rule is 4.4.C, but its open to interpretation as to what "legal"
is in this case.  Does the car have to be re-protested if someone actually
cared?  Or should the PC sign off on the fix?  I'm sure reasonable people
can differ on this one.

--Andy