Re: Something for everyone, but mostly about f125

To: PbPied@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Something for everyone, but mostly about f125
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 06:31:31 -0400
At 02:14 AM 6/27/2002 -0400, PbPied@aol.com wrote:

>To presume that because I and others choose to compete in shifter karts
>that we are not "car persons" is an erroneous use of logic.  The reality
>is that I am, and we are, "car people" who choose autocrossing as our
>mode of association with cars and car sports.  That we drive karts instead
>of cars is pretty much irrelevant.

Alan and everyone else:

Sorry for the misunderstandings!!! Obviously my attempted disclaimers
didn't work:-)

I was simply trying to offer possible explanations so that anybody who is
interested in increasing kart participation could consider the hypothesis
and, if they thought it might be relevant, address it in their campaign to
increase kart participation.

Obviously kart folk (or at least most who autocross regularly) are car
folk. "Kart folk" and "car folk" was shorthand for "people who are
significantly interested in karts/cars".

Remember "set theory" from school?

In the case of autocrossers, people who are "kart folk" might be considered
a subset of people who are "car folk". In kart racing circles, "car folk"
might be a subset of "kart folk". "Car folk" who autocross are a VERY SMALL
subset of the overall set of "car folk" . . . most of whom don't have a
clue about what autocrossing even is . . . but if they did, they wouldn't
be interested in MY/OUR sport.

I don't mean that "kart" drivers are not necessarily "car folk". What my
"theory" was trying to suggest is that a large percentage of "car folk" are
not inclined to be "kart folk" . . . hence a possible explanation for part
of the reason that karts have not taken off in solo.

On reconsideration:

1) Pat Kelly probably hit a more significant reason . . . simple economics.
Track racing a kart appears to be much more "affordable/accessible" than
track racing a car. Therefore, autocrossers who try karts may be more
likely to abandon autocrossing in favor of track racing than those of us
who stay with cars. For me, the jump to track racing a car just wasn't one
I was prepared to make . . . and I'm too old/fragile to do it with karts.

2) I should never try to offer very subjective personal opinions on an
emotional subject to a mailing list . . . especially at 6 AM before
caffeine. (opps, I'm doing it again).

Dick (I have to go to work) Rasmussen