Kart Thoughts

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Kart Thoughts
From: Larry Andrews<andrewld@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 11:57:21 -0700
</lurk mode>

I can relate to most of the perspectives that have been presented regarding
karts.  My only reason for writing is to provide more data points.

I'd had my eye on karts for a while.  A guy who autocrosses in F125 asked if
I'd co-drive.  Uh, SURE!  Had a ball ever since, going to San Diego NT and El
Toro PS for my second and third events in a kart.

Locally (SoCal) I see a LOT of people taking a really interested look when the
karts run.  That's not to say that people are selling their cars and running
karts in droves, but I think that interest *is* there and over time a lot of
people will seriously consider running a kart.  It's great to hear people
remark "how do they go so fast!"  And it's a great feeling to beat guys like
Tom Berry, Guy Ankeny and Steve O'blenes, even if only on scratch time.  :)

Autocross is my only racing outlet so far.  Actually like the challenge of
learning a new course quickly, though I'm not good at it.  I'm just fine with
being on-track all by myself.

One other thing I've been seeing a lot of.  Dads who used to autocross by
themselves are now bringing their kids to run karts.  Seems like a win-win
situation to me.  Kids get to learn to drive earlier, and families get to
spend some quality time together.  I've found an overwhelming absence of
little league parent syndrome, but have seen a couple 9 year olds being gently
taught about gracious winning.  Like I said, win-win.

-Larry Andrews