Re: Insurance study of racing drivers

To: "Matthew Carson" <mcars@vt.edu>, <evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Re: Insurance study of racing drivers
From: "Rick Brown" <free2000@quixnet.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 17:12:28 -0700
The proper study would be with Solo2 drivers, not licensed racing drivers.
While track racing certainly teaches car control skills, it also teaches
somewhat agressive driving in traffic.  It is different than autocrossing as
is evidenced by the fact that typically an autocrosser going racing will do
better than a racer going autocrossing for the first time.  Autocrossing is
truly the type of training that makes safer street drivers.  I, like Matt,
have avoided many accidents over my 40 years on the road (and 30
autocrossing).  I do drive faster than most, probably in the upper 5%, but I
adjust my driving to the conditions of traffic, my skill and the car I'm
driving.  I've always taken the daily driver cars I've had out to a practice
event at least once to get a feel for the car near the limits (including my
Mazda Tribute tow vehicle). I've had 2 accidents in my life, both minor car
damage only.  One at age 17 where my lack of skill caused me to misjudge
getting around a car suddenly making a left turn in front of me, and one on
a 2 lane freeway ramp where a slow car I was overtaking suddenly pulled in
front of me.  I avoided him but in the resulting spin my car's nose clipped
the guard rail slightly.  The spin was controlled, I came to a smooth stop
then continued on my way, with the other driver oblivious to what happened.
And as Jamie indicated seat time is important,  any study should include
experience level.  Matt's letter probably came across as something of an
attact to Mr. O'Neill as his reply was very defensive.

Rick Brown
BM / D Sports Racer