Re: [evolution-disc.] Opinions

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] Opinions
From: bthatch@juno.com
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 01:02:42 -0400
If we buy Mark's logic, unless a person has actually been in charge of
running a series (s)he doesn't have the right to suggest some
constructive changes. I believe this approach, by a leader, limits
his/her effectiveness by closing off his/her openness to change and
fresh-air thinking.

I was a member of Atlanta's Team Solo (committee that puts on the Atlanta
Region SCCA Solo II program) for 5 years before volunteering to help Tere
Pulliam out as co-chair. During those 5 years I had suggested many of the
changes that I helped to implement as co-chair later. In every case my
ideas were poo-poohed as unworkable, pie-in-the-sky thinking. I think the
results of my "ideas" that were implemented in Atlanta over the past 3 +
years have spoken for themselves.

Believe it or not, I have actually designed courses and set up events for
National Tours as well as doing the same for 4 SEDIV divisionals, so I'm
not exactly sitting on the sidelines when I make some suggestions. But a
seemingly effective way to disparage your opponent's point of view is to
put that person down personally, call into question his motives, belittle
his/her experience or to call him/her names. Thankfully, though, most on
this list can see right through these kinds of tactics and make sane
decisions for themselves.

One thing I found very helpful while in co-charge of Atlanta's Solo II
program was to hear the constructive criticism in those years. I always
listened with interest. True, some were obviously off-base from the
beginning. But many others actually got implemented into the program for
the enrichment of the series. Only listening to the old-timers for advice
will doom a leader to keeping the status-quo in effect. Thinking outside
the box for unconventional solutions to problems can reap some huge
rewards. I was awe struck with the simple, pure thought processes that
lead us to unique solutions and well-founded thinking for problem
solving. Today, Atlanta's Team Solo, under the leadership of Barry Saney,
is a hotbed of creative thinking that, I trust, will continue to advance
Solo II there for years to come. It is growing well beyond my
personal-best creativity.

Ben Thatcher
http://ApexBenefits.biz