Re: computer advice - off topic - wake to ring? - solution.

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: computer advice - off topic - wake to ring? - solution.
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 23:08:52 -0500
Thanks for all the help.  About 50 of you replied.

The solution, for me, for now, is to hold down the shift key while clicking
the button to shut down the computer.  This causes the machine to
"hibernate" in Windows, then shut off the computer.  When the computer is
shut down this way, it appears to be off, no flashing lights annoy Sue, and
telephone activity does not wake it up.

All the advice of places to look was good.  I found all the places.  None of
them contained the needed commands, however.

One person told me that emachines computers tend to like to auto-start, and
that I should expect whatever method I use to stop working in the future.
That might happen, but for now I am OK.

Thanks again.  I now return you to your regularly-scheduled autocross
discussions.

Tomorrow I make my way to a Hennepin-county college to instruct some newbies
at a MAC autocross school set up by Bob Fogt and Pat Washburn.  I love that
kind of work.  Don't tell Bob and Pat, or they won't pay me.  Wait.  They
don't pay me anyway.  It is going to be 95 and sunny tomorrow.

If Grace N. Violence, my Lotus, decides to start in the morning, I will take
her there, and give some instructional rides.  If not, the TR4 will be a
nice ride to the site, but I have not yet put on the new tires, wheels, and
front sway bar resting in the shop.  The lack of a front bar makes the TR4
pretty-much undriveable in autocross, since the back wheel comes right off
the pavement and spins.  So if I take the TR4, it will just have to look
pretty under the tonneau and take me to Sherlock's home later.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.vtr2002.org