RE: E36 M3 Maintenance Q's...

To: "Yuri Klepach" <civicr1992@yahoo.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: E36 M3 Maintenance Q's...
From: "bruce haden" <bhaden@ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 13:01:25 -0700
First of all, thank you for all your answers on my questions a week ago.  We
just bought a '98 M3 4-dr. 5-speed w/39K miles.  The car has been always
maintained my BMW dealer.  Now, to the questions:

   BMW Manual & Bentley Manual (780 pages) states that oils in transmission
& in differential do not need to be changed.  ???  Is it true?  Do you guys
change it after say, 50K miles or so?
   Where to buy a good oil filter element?   Which is good brand, Bosch,
etc.?
   Do I really need to buy a new O-ring for the oil filter housing & a new
washer for the drain plug every time I change the oil?
   I've been told that the front brake pads are on the thin side (haven't
had time to check it myself).  What are good pads for the street?  I do like
the bite of the stock pads on M3.  Will Portfield R4S be too aggresive?  My
wife has all R4S on her Integra GSR & she likes them (they dust like crazy!)
M3 won't see as much AutoX as our regular cars, Civic & Integra.

Sorry to sound so stupid but I'm being very careful w/BMW.  I've done a few
Honda engine swaps, suspension mods, brakes mods by myself but the Beemer
kinda scares me a little...

I'd greatly appreciate your help!

Yuri Klepach

For what its worth..........I just put some EBC Green Stuff pads on all 4
corners of our 89 525i and they are great.
This car is strictly a commuter/family car; NO RACING of any kind, but a lot
of highway miles at 80+mph.
They have very good feel on the street and minimal dust.
They feel as if they would be OK for an occasional autocross. About $140 for
all 4 wheels. I wouldn't worry about the oil
filter and plug gaskets unless they look damaged in some way. I very rarely
change these on any car and I do all my own
maintenance.

        Bruce Haden