E36 M3 Maintenance Q's...

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: E36 M3 Maintenance Q's...
From: Yuri Klepach <civicr1992@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 12:35:29 -0700 (PDT)
First of all, thank you for all your answers on my questions a week ago.  We
just bought a '98 M3 4-dr. 5-speed w/39K miles.  The car has been always
maintained my BMW dealer.  Now, to the questions:

   BMW Manual & Bentley Manual (780 pages) states that oils in transmission &
in differential do not need to be changed.  ???  Is it true?  Do you guys
change it after say, 50K miles or so?
   Where to buy a good oil filter element?   Which is good brand, Bosch, etc.?
   Do I really need to buy a new O-ring for the oil filter housing & a new
washer for the drain plug every time I change the oil?
   I've been told that the front brake pads are on the thin side (haven't had
time to check it myself).  What are good pads for the street?  I do like the
bite of the stock pads on M3.  Will Portfield R4S be too aggresive?  My wife
has all R4S on her Integra GSR & she likes them (they dust like crazy!)   M3
won't see as much AutoX as our regular cars, Civic & Integra.

Sorry to sound so stupid but I'm being very careful w/BMW.  I've done a few
Honda engine swaps, suspension mods, brakes mods by myself but the Beemer kinda
scares me a little...

I'd greatly appreciate your help!

Yuri Klepach

'92 Civic 1800 DOHC (almost turbocharged)

'94 Integra GSR (not stock)

'98 BMW M3 (stock)