Re: Autox in Long Island, NY 6/9?

To: "Dominic J. Cagliostro" <djc@lanl.gov>
Subject: Re: Autox in Long Island, NY 6/9?
From: Paul McGovern <pm@nyisles.net>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 17:00:48 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 29 May 2002, Dominic J. Cagliostro wrote:

| I'll be in Islip on Sunday, 6/9.  Any autoxes going on nearby? Or
| go-karts? Or drag races?  I used to drag race at the 1/8-mi drag
| strip in Islip 40 years ago--does it still exist?

I live one town over from Islip (in Bay Shore). Where in Islip are you
going to be? I lived there for four years and I still have a lot of family
there, so I know the town pretty well :D

AFAIK, the only autocross events in the immediate area are held at Nassau
Coliseum, and unfortunately there isn't another one until early July (the
7th if I recall correctly). The track at Islip has been gone for many,
many years... I'm 20, and I don't remember the track ever being there. The
only drag strip left on the island is about 30 mins east of Islip in
Westhampton, and sadly it is closing down at the end of this season due to
the whining idiots who live close to it. Long Island is in a sad state of
affairs in terms of racing... :(

--
Paul McGovern
http://www.nyisles.net