Re: Digital camcorders

To: "Linnhoff, Eric" <elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org>
Subject: Re: Digital camcorders
From: Alan Dahl <adahl@eskimo.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 09:22:10 -0700
On Friday, May 17, 2002, at 08:54  AM, Linnhoff, Eric wrote:
> I've got my eye on this beautiful little Sony DCR-TRV240.  With USB
> outputs
> it ought to upload to my computer really easily.  It's also got A/V
> inputs
> so one could hook up one of those little X-10 cams (you know, the ones
> in
> all those freakin' annoying little pop-ups that block your screen while
> you're trying very hard to surf for good internet porn) for external
> camera
> shots and all kinds of neat view angles.  Driver cam, suspension cam,
> wheel
> cam foot cam, etc, etc.

USB is slow, slow, slow when it comes to transferring video. You need a
FireWire output (also called iLink by Sony) if you are to get decent
transfer speeds. If it is a Sony I suspect it probably has a FireWire
connection but it's best to check.

Of course your computer needs a FireWire card too. Most all Apple
Macintoshes and Sonys built in the last 3-4 years should come with a
built-in FireWire connector, if not it is a simple matter to add a card.
My personal favorite computer is the Mac since it comes with the great
(and free) iMovie 2 video editing program. The newest Macs can even burn
DVDs which is very hard to come by in the PC world (not to mention you
get the free iDVD software for desiging/burning  DVDs).

When it comes to external video cams Randy Chase's ConeCam is a great
choice (www.conecam.com, $185 with all hardware) for Stock or Street
Prepared cars. For formula cars or anything with a very hard suspension
there is the shock-proof RaceCase camera at about  $500.

> So far the best price I've been able to find one for is about $450
> online.
>
> Are there any other comparable digital camcorders on the market for
> about
> the same money?

The Canon ZR-25MC, a recently discontinued model, is going for about
$499 these days (at Fred Meyer if you live in the Northwest) and has
great features. It's very small (smaller than the Sony so you can even
mount it directly on the car), has video inputs and FireWire outputs,
uses the small DV tapes and also takes stills on the included 8mb
MultiMedia card. I have one and I think it's great. So does Randy Chase,
he's even used it mounted on the car with nothing but his ConeCam
suction cup mount!

- Alan Dahl