RE: VW buggy and Solo2

To: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>, "Ibsen, Uffe"
Subject: RE: VW buggy and Solo2
From: "bruce haden" <bhaden@ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 14:30:30 -0700
Not sure where they fit these days. Back about 20 years ago (in our pre-SCCA
days in San Diego) a guy named Jim Warner ran a Manx with a Corvair engine.
I think it
was a 110hp version, pretty much stock, mated to the VW transaxle. He ran
on some kind of large 15" slicks about 10-12" wide. Had about a 50-75 pound
piece of pipe on the front for a bumper to help put weight on the front
wheels and it had cutting brakes, which he indeed used on-course. It handled
VERY well for such a crude package and the power-weight ratio was impressive
with all that torque out back. Lots of fun to watch and occasionally a TTD
car. Ahh, how times have changed.