10 year rule for stock the other side

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: 10 year rule for stock the other side
From: bthatch@juno.com
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 14:42:30 -0400
David Hillman hit on the REAL solution. No car NEWER than 10 years old is
allowed to compete. You wanna see an explosion of drivers in the stock
classes? Woops, no that won't work. Lots of people don't like to work on
their cars anymore.

This would bring the real grassroots back to the sport, though.

Perhaps it's time for another autocross organization that specializes in
old cars. Kind of like vintage racing we could have a classic autocross
series all around the country. This series would be for cars AT LEAST 10
years old. We could have 2 series in one with cars 10-30 years old in
"Classic" and  cars over 30 years old in "Vintage." Then the folk who
want to buy the new car every 2 years could have all the fun they want
with SCCA and the rest of us, who like old cheap iron, can have fun too.
Of course the guys in the "vintage" class will be spending more than the
guys who are buying the new cars.

One of the neat things about this series would be that everyone could
watch for 10 years to see which cars rise to the top of the autocrossing
world and then be prepared when those cars become available for the
Classic series.

Dave says:
And the fix is to require me to buy a $20K to $50K car and spend $1K on
preparation?

   That makes sense.

   It seems to me the problem is that people buy expensive new cars, and
then realize they don't have enough left to prepare it.  How about we
enact a minimum age of 10 years for Stock?  Then the "new car" people
won't be tempted to waste their money on expensive new cars, and will be
able to afford whatever shocks they want.

> Thus it becomes clear that if a sunset rule for Stock was ever enacted
> it would have to include the creation of a Street Touring-like class
for
> older vehicles that would slot between Stock and Street Prepared. So
> basically we'd have a "Showroom Stock" class with no mods allowed for
> new cars and a "Street" class for older cars that allows some more
> leeway in preparation.

   Oh, I see.  I don't have to buy an expensive new car, I can just spend
another however many thousand on preparation for another class, that'll
leave my car even less desirable to drive on the street.

- --
 D a v i d "hey, is that an ox with a hole in it?" H i l l m a n
 hillman@planet-torque.com