Re: Safety Belt

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Subject: Re: Safety Belt
From: Alan Dahl <adahl@eskimo.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 00:36:27 -0800
On Sunday, February 24, 2002, at 12:25  AM, Mark J. Andy wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand why this is a safety issue at all...  Why is
> using nitrous on an autox course dangerous?  Doubling the horsepower?
> What about prepared cars or turbo cars or any number of other cars that
> have _way_ more horsepower than stock?
>
> I can understand a classing issue, but the safety one doesn't make sense
> to me.  People do stupid things with gasoline too, but we don't ban
> that...

We had someone with a Honda re-connect his nitrous after tech and on his
first run he grenaded his motor so bad you could see all sorts of
internal engine parts. Needless to say the event had to come to a halt
as we removed the car from the course, cleaned up the spilled oil, etc.
So besides the safety issues of having to deal with whether a nitrous
system is properly installed there is also the cleanup aspect should the
motor let go. IMHO nitrous and autox don't mix.

- Alan Dahl