Safety Belt

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Safety Belt
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 19:34:23 -0600
By now, all of you who are licensed SCCA Solo Safety Stewards or members
of the SCCA National Solo Field Staff should have received your February
issue of the Safety Belt in the mail.  If it's not already there, it
should also be posted soon on the SCCA website for all to read. (Go to
"search" on the homepage - type in safety belt - and then surf your way
to it.  I'm working on trying to get it added to the Solo dropdown menu
on the homepage, but it's not there yet!)

We apparently had a printer problem this time around.  Some of you may
have received a copy with page-2 completely "washed out" - unreadable.
If you received one of those copies, please let me know.  We need to get
some kind of count to the printer so we can reconcile the problem.

A big THANK YOU to all of you who have responded to the nitrous issue.
Please keep those responses coming.  MY biggest concern is this:  What
happens if somebody accidentally (or intentionally) hits the "go" button
while on course?  Our primary responsibility as Solo Safety Stewards is
to insure the safety of spectators and course workers.  How can we
insure their safety if somebody's car suddenly turns into an
out-of-control missile somewhere on the course?  When you hit the
nitrous, you basically double your horsepower - on the spot.  It's
pretty easy to predict what a car's going to do with that kind of boost
in a straight line.  But what's it going to do in a turn or in the
middle of a slalom?  That's where MY biggest concern lies with this
whole issue.  Your thoughts?

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman