re: VW trans prob

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: re: VW trans prob
From: PeteGossett@netscape.net (Pete Gossett)
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 09:03:01 -0500
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 00:18:50 EST
From: Sup4speed@aol.com
Subject: VW trans warranty

Hey All:

Slightly off autox content, but our '98 Jetta 2.0 which we have the basic
common springs, bars, wheels/tires, chip, intake , short shifter kit, just
blew out 2nd gear at 32k, sounds terrible, 2nd won't engage.  Dealer says due
to shift kit, the 100k drivetrain warranty won't cover.  Any tips, consumer
groups to contact to perhaps help persuade dealer to cover repair ?  Internet
search indicates this is a fairly common and quietly ignored weakness in the
tranny by the company.  I'm thinking if defect is common, maybe NTSA, SEMA,
VW at the corporate level.  Have no chance in court I suppose as the warranty
of course says any mods, non-factory parts may void warranty.  Thanks for any
help !

Don Lew
DSP Supra
STS Jetta

If you aren't on the VWVortex forum, subscribe(http://forums.vwvortex.com). You
can find some dealers in your area who can help. I know our local
dealer(University Auto, Champaign, IL)just replaced a VR6, because the owner
*accidentally* started the car w/the accelerator all the way to the floor &
blew the engine. Dealers don't loose money on warranty work(they don't make
much $$, though).

We just went through this w/my wife's Dakota. We didn't buy it at the Dodge
dealer(or have them do the service)& they were stalling about replacing the
trans under warranty. We took it to the Chrysler dealer(which is also the VW
dealer listed above), they had it replaced in 3-days w/no probs.

Good luck & keep searching, you can get it done under warranty.

Pete Gossett
Central Illinois Region/SCCA SoloII Chair