Re: Brake Ducting in Stock

To: autox <autox@autox.team.net>, mmead-autox@goof.com
Subject: Re: Brake Ducting in Stock
From: "Burns, James B." <James.Burns@jhuapl.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 17:29:24 -0500
Matt,
I also autox a '97 M3 in stock class, and I have done a couple of track days
with it as well.  I personally haven't seen a need for additional brake
ducting on the track, so are you sure that you need it?  I have run at
Summit Point, which is very hard on brakes, using stock rotors with Hawk
blue pads.  I could smell the brakes, but they never faded a bit and the
rotors held up fine.  I am an experienced club road racer, so I wasn't just
cruising around the track either.  The stock M3 ducting is pretty good, and
the big vented rotors don't seem to get too hot.  Obviously not as good as
ducting directly to the center of the rotor, but it seems to be good enough
for track days.

If you really do need (or want) the ducting, you can remove the hose that
goes to the backing plate when you aren't at the track.  You probably don't
want that hose on there for street use anyway since it will rub on your tire
at full steering lock.  Technically, you'll still be illegal for stock class
since you have modified backing plates, but with the hose removed there is
no performance advantage over the stock ducting (especially  for autox) and
you shouldn't have to worry about a protest unless you finish in the
trophies at a national event.

Brad Burns