Re: suspected illegalities

To: Jay Evans <95redmiata@home.com>
Subject: Re: suspected illegalities
From: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 21:32:39 -0700 (PDT)
On Sun, 7 Oct 2001, Jay Evans wrote:

> According to:
> 13.2 Bodywork
> A. Accessories, gauges, indicators, lights and other appearance, comfort and
> convenience modifications which have no effect on performance and/or
> handling and do not materially reduce the weight of the car are permitted.
>
> Seems to me this would fall under comfort and convenience.
>
> Now, I'm new to AutoX, but if your telling me it is illegal to replace your
> shift knob in stock class while you can use $400-600 ea shocks and tires so
> soft that they are luckily to last a weekend, the rules for this sport
> really need to be revamped!
>

> Jay Evans

Have at it.  Be sure to clarify the difference between replacing a shift
knob to improve shifting and moving pedals to allow better heel-toe.  Or
replacing the steering wheel to get quicker steering.  Or mounting a block
on the floor to limit clutch disengagement distance.  Or cutting the foam
out of the seat.  And there's always those pesky rear-view mirrors in the
way.  Problem is, if you allow all that stuff, it *does* add up to a
difference; and a fairly hacked-up stock car, too.

You can eliminate the shock allowance, too.  It'll really level the
playing field when the fat-wallet contingent can run new OEM shocks at
every major event.  And for tires, we could just specify a minimum wear
rating -- oops, since the tire manufacturers can set that to whatever they
like, maybe that won't work.

See the problems?

KeS

(strongly disagrees with the future allowance to cut holes in stock car
bodies to access adjustment points)